Social Ministry First
Social Ministry News
Included in the bylaws for Social Ministry there is the statement that the duties of Social Ministry may include: Local community needs - “study social conditions in order to bring the cleansing and healing light of the Christian truth to be upon critical problems through thoughtful Christian discussion of facts and issues.” In this regard, Social Ministry will periodically share information on the advocacy work of the ELCA.
On May 18, 2017, the presiding bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Episcopal Church issued
a joint invitation to a season of prayer, fasting and advocacy. This advocacy is called, “For Such A Time As This.” Lutherans are encouraged to pray and fast on the 21st of each month.
“We fast on the 21st of the month because that is the day when 90% of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits run out for families, making the remainder of the month a hungry time. On this day, an advocacy alert will also invite participants to speak their faith by sending a message to their members of Congress.” (https://www.elca.org/prayfastact)
For more information and to hear Bishop Elizabeth Eaton’s statement, please go to https://www.elca.org/prayfastact
Social Ministry reaches out to the spiritual, nutritional and physical needs of persons in our community and the world. Social Ministry here at First Lutheran serves the needs of others through some of the following activities:
- Geneseo Food Pantry - necessary home items and food are contributed monthly to low-income families by
members of First Lutheran. Scroll down to see a list of current needs.
- Audio Ministry - recordings of the Traditional Sunday service are available on CD for homebound parishioners
and others desiring copies of our worship services. Contact the church office to arrange for this service.
- Churches United Meal - meals are provided for low income persons.
- Rebuilding Together Geneseo/Cambridge - volunteers help refurbish and repair homes of those in need.
- World Hunger Appeal - fund raisers, such as fast-pitch softball with a local television station, help raise money
to help the hungry around the world.
- Lutheran World Relief - members contribute to the clothing drive to help those less fortunate around the world.
- Souper Bowl of Caring - through this effort money and food are collected nationally on Super Bowl Sunday and
then distributed to local charities.
Food Pantry Collection
The Geneseo Food Pantry is collecting canned broth, cookie mix, jelly, refried beans, salsa, Pull Ups training pants, bleach, cotton balls, adult diapers, and fabric softener to share with those in our community. Donations may be left in the basket
by the church office.
Other opportunities to help!
With spring right around the corner, we will be accepting donations of lighter coats and jackets.
We are also in need of bed sheets and baby clothing.